What a Roller Coaster of a Week So Far...

Ever have such a roller coaster of a day that was so drastic that it seems to have occupied your entire week? This week has been that way for me and its only Wednesday. The rest of the week is mostly knitting related so I already know that it will be wonderful. 

Monday evening my Mom, Betty and I met one of my besties, Meredith, and her new husband Ben out for dinner since they were finally home from Minnesota. If you aren't familiar with who they are you can read a little bit more about them in this post from November when they got married. Anyway, we agreed on a restaurant and met at 7 o'clock for a later dinner. Since there were 5 of us we were seated at a larger round table. 10 minutes after we were seated the table next to us, another large round table, was seated with a couple and their 5 small children. From the moment they were seated they.were.loud. The smallest child was about 10 months old and all she did was scream. All of us at our table shot continual glares over at their table in the hopes that they would realize just how absolutely disturbing this was. The parents were, and as far as I could tell throughout the evening, completely oblivious to how disturbing their family was to everyone sitting around them. With the smallest child screaming you'd think they would give it a binkie, or a cracker or a bottle or something. Nope. They simply handed this child to their eldest child at the table who was about 10 years old and let the child sit on his lap. Screaming. The other children were about maybe 3 and 5 yrs old and they were screeching very high pitched screeches to add to all of this. Again, we continued to look at this...at this point it was in sheer amazement. I have never in my life seen a family have such disregard, not only for the other patrons of the restaurant, but for what their own kids were doing! I was floored. I have a condition called Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension which causes daily migraines. I have a build up of too my cerebral spinal fluid and with nowhere for it to go it causes terrible migraines. The unbelievable noise at this table had caused such an elevation of my migraine that I could no longer even eat because I was becoming nauseous. I had to have my dinner boxed up and I took it home to finish the next day. About 3/4 of the way through the evening they decided to give the smallest child a bottle. From what I could tell she didn't actually drink from the bottle but rather used it to bang loudly and repeatedly on the table. Again and again and again. The restaurant we were at was in a strip mall and was much smaller than their otherwise normal free standing restaurants or we would have asked to be reseated. There was nowhere in this place we one could escape the nightmare that was sitting at the table next to us. I was going over and over in my head what I was going to say to these parents on our way out and I had it down. It would've been perfect. Unfortunately, they left 5 minutes before we did and I did not take the opportunity to stop them on their way out...I was praising the fact they were leaving. Now, we have all had experiences with screaming children in restaurants. Its unfortunately unavoidable. But, as my Mom and I decided on our way home that night, this was by far the worst experience we have ever had in our lives. This family completely ruined the dining experienced and my dinner all together. And this was Monday night....the week was not getting off to a good start. The only thing that made it at all bearable was seeing Meredith again and finally meeting Ben after several months. I love Meredith. She is a very dear friend and I am thrilled that she has found herself a wonderful husband to share her days with. Everyone deserves to have this but especially Meredith. 

Tuesday's nightmare began with a phone call from my lovely pharmacist Mark who called to ask me if I had a new insurance card because they were processing a prescription for me and the coverage I had was no longer accepting any claims. I explained to Mark that since my divorce was final on 12-20-13 I would be switching over to COBRA medical coverage and during this process there should be no lapse in coverage whatsoever. The whole insurance thing is a complete other odyssey unto itself. I have applied for Medicaid as I am not working and have no income, I should qualify. I have heard nothing yet. I tried to get a policy through Healthcare.gov but they wouldn't even sell me a policy for these same reasons regardless of there being other means with which to pay the premium. My disability claim continues to progress and COBRA is my only option and I am forever grateful that the option is even there. Mark said that he would make a couple calls and get back to me. He called me just a few minutes later and said that he didn't really know what to tell me other than I should probably call myself and find out what was going on. So I did. I discovered that my medical and prescription coverage had been cancelled as of January 4, 2014. I was given another number to call which was to member services of my ex-husbands employer. Thankfully there was a bottle of klonopin nearby which I could get to before calling this number. I was so completely panicked at this point because if you have a lapse in insurance coverage COBRA will not cover you. I don't know who screwed up where but I was going to find out. We also had an appointment at the vet to get Kona checked out this afternoon because he has lost so much weight since he was switched to the Overweight Management food the vet prescribed. Last August Kona had his teeth cleaned and weighed in at 16 pounds. It was time to see how he was doing. I was on hold with the insurance people for 30 minutes as we drove to the vet. Once someone came to the line I must've sounded like a babbling and crying idiot. The bad news is that my insurance did get cancelled and no one knows why or how this happened. The good news is that it can be fixed, Once the COBRA coverage is in effect it will go retroactive to January 4th and reimburse us for expenses we have had to pay out of pocket until this is all straightened out. I felt much better after this call and also because the klonopin was finally beginning to kick in which was good because I was going to really need it shortly. 

We got to the vet just as I was closing my call with the insurance people. We got straight into the room and let Kona out of his traveling carrier and he just relaxing on the counter. He is so chill that he doesn't really mind even being at the vet. The techs took him back and weighed him, took some blood and then brought him back to us. He weighed just a little over 8 lbs. Kona had lost half of his entire body weight. I couldn't believe it. When the vet came in she told us why. Kona was now very diabetic and needed insulin injections twice a day. I couldn't believe it. I was scared and worried but the vet reassured us that Kona was a healthy diabetic. His weight was now down to a good size and the diabetes is very treatable. We practiced the injections to be sure that I would be fine doing it here at home. I just feel so bad for the little guy. So many changes in a short period of time. As we were waiting for some supplies and meds this was Kona...


He was super chill. And sleeping while we waited. We have such a fantastic vet too. He'll go back in a couple weeks and they will keep him for a day and periodically test his sugars and give insulin to find out what the true target amount of insulin is that he should be getting. Right now he is getting 1 ml twice a day. A very small dose. And he is not terribly happy about it either. He does OK with the injections as we try to give them along with a couple treats too so it isn't awful and terrible for him. Since he's been home his bowels have changed too so I called the vet to let them know. They told me that he has just really been through a lot in the past couple of days and its rather normal for his body to be a little freaked out right now. He'll be OK. At least we are hopeful that he will be. I think he's hiding under a bed somewhere which isn't necessarily the greatest sign. I'll keep you all posted on how he's doing. 

As far as my knitting goes, I've made another pair of fingerless mitts and I LOVE THEM! I just really love fingerless mitts. I love making them and I love having enough different pairs to wear with different outfits. This is the pair I just completed...



Its my own easy peasy pattern that works for DK through worsted weight yarns. This pair was made out of Wooly Wonka Aerten DK with cashmere yarn and they are wonderful! Just as I was typing my Dad went out and checked the mail and the yarn I ordered just arrived! I ordered 2 skeins of Malabrigo worsted to make a couple more pairs for myself. The blue ones you see above I made for myself and there was enough yarn left over to make a pair for my Mom so that's what on my mitt needles at the moment. Then I'll cast these on...


I love these colorways. This is Pale Khaki which is a lovely tonal color and the other is Stonechat which I also have in fingering weight. I cant wait for mitts in these colors!

I have two shawls in yarn bowls on my coffee table that have been staring at me. One is nearly finished and once I get done with the Phydeaux Project I think I'll finish this...

 
This is the a Boo Knits pattern called Sweet Dreams and really the only think left to do is finish the last chart, the finishing chart and she's done. You can see the pattern here on Ravelry. Then theirs the Bonsai Shawl which is a lovely pattern and I really like it a lot. Check it out here on Ravelry. The yarn I'm working it in is Skein Vintage Lace which they do not make anymore. Its an alpaca/silk/cashmere blend that is positively dreamy...


I'm almost able to blog about the presents for my Monday Night Ladies....Lisa has opened hers because she is going out of town and will not be at our next meeting Monday. But here they sit...


As soon as they are opened I will take pics and share with you all!. 

With as rough as the week has been, the rest of it will be filled with knitting so I know it'll be good. Friday Me, Mom, and Betty are taking our new friend Kristy to Santa Fe to introduce her to a few yarn shops she may not know of. We are exciting about this! It's always fun to go yarning in Santa Fe which always includes lunch someplace nice. Saturday is Designer Day at Village Wools! Yay! My LYS is having a whole day devoted to local designers and their work from 1 - 5pm. I will be there so if you are local in here in Albuquerque come and see me and my patterns. I'd love to see you! There will be treats and things to eat and refreshments. I am really looking forward to it! I will be sure to take pictures to share with you all. 

I hope you are all having a better week than mine started out. I have faith all will end well! And if you're in town I hope to see you Saturday!

Comments

Popular Posts